The new case in California against the Hollywood producer was disclosed just as his sexual assault trial began in New York.
Prosecutors in Los Angeles charged the film producer Harvey Weinstein with rape and other sex crimes involving two women, even as his trial on similar charges began in New York City on Monday.
The new criminal complaint was announced in Los Angeles on Monday, just hours after Mr. Weinstein, who recently had back surgery, hobbled into a Manhattan courtroom with a walker for the start of his rape trial there.
The Los Angeles County district attorney, Jackie Lacey, said Mr. Weinstein had been charged with raping one woman and sexually assaulting another woman in separate incidents over a two-day period in 2013.
Mr. Weinstein entered a hotel room on Feb. 18, 2013, and raped a woman after pushing his way inside of her room, Ms. Lacey’s office said. He is accused of then sexually assaulting a second woman the following night at a hotel suite in Beverly Hills.
Mr. Weinstein has been charged with one felony count each of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, sexual penetration by use of force and sexual battery by restraint, Ms. Lacey said in a statement. He faces up to 28 years in prison if convicted.
“We believe the evidence will show that the defendant used his power and influence to gain access to his victims and then commit violent crimes against them,” Ms. Lacey said.
In New York City, dozens of protesters gathered outside the State Supreme Court in Manhattan on a damp day, including several actresses who have accused Mr. Weinstein of wrongdoing, holding signs with slogans like “justice for survivors” and “coercion is not consent.”
Rose McGowan, an actress who has accused Mr. Weinstein of sexual assault, called the trial in Manhattan “a moment of justice,” even though most of Mr. Weinstein’s accusers “won’t have even one day in court.” Addressing the disgraced producer she said, “You brought this on yourself by hurting so many.”
Ms. McGowan was joined by seven other women in the entertainment industry as they stood in Foley Square a park just two blocks from the criminal courthouse.
He faces one count of rape and one count of criminal sexual act in those cases and, if convicted, could be sentenced to a maximum of 25 years in prison.
Mr. Weinstein maintains that his sexual encounters with the women were consensual.
The producer also faces a charge of predatory sexual assault for committing a serious sex crime against more than one person. If convicted of that charge, Mr. Weinstein faces a maximum of life in prison.
To further buttress that charge, prosecutors plan on calling the “Sopranos” actress Annabella Sciorra to testify against Mr. Weinstein, who she said sexually assaulted her in 1993 in her Gramercy Park apartment.
The Manhattan district attorney’s office has also won permission to call three other women, who have yet to be identified, to testify about their allegations of sexual assault by the producer. Prosecutors hope those witnesses will help convince a jury that Mr. Weinstein has long been a sexual predator, supporting the claims of the two main accusers.
Prosecutors in Pennsylvania used a similar strategy in the sexual assault trial of the comedian Bill Cosby, who is in prison.
Detective DiGaudio’s handling of the evidence became an issue in October 2018, when one of the charges in the indictment related to a former actress was thrown out by Justice James M. Burke, who is presiding over the rape trial. The actress, Lucia Evans, had accused Mr. Weinstein of forcing her to perform oral sex on him during a business meeting.
But it came to light that Detective DiGaudio had failed to inform prosecutors that Ms. Evans had given a different version of the story to a friend, saying she had willingly agreed to the sex act after Mr. Weinstein promised her acting jobs in return.
Ms. Evans insisted that she had never consented, and Detective DiGaudio denied withholding information from the prosecutors. He was still removed from the case and the charge was dropped, at the prosecution’s request.
Mr. Weinstein’s lawyers had hoped to call the detective and grill him on the lapses in the investigation. Justice Burke ruled against them, though he said other witnesses could be asked about the detective’s work on cross-examination.
“My ruling is that the defense may not call Detective DiGaudio on their case which is not to say they may not vigorously cross-examine a witness about their dealings with him,” Justice Burke said, adding that if it makes it relevant “to call him after then so be it.”
Now, however, even if Mr. Weinstein prevails in Manhattan, he will face a second trial in Los Angeles. Ms. Lacey said at a news conference that eight women had come forward to report being sexually assaulted by Mr. Weinstein in Los Angeles County.