A three-year-old girl is in a critical condition in hospital after swallowing an ecstasy pill left in a children’s park in a popular Ibiza holiday resort. The youngster was on holiday with her mum and two siblings when she came across the tablet. Civil Guard investigators believe it had been dropped in the park by a drugs user or dealer and the child mistook it for a sweet. The pill had been left in a children’s park in Santa Eulalia, a town on Ibiza’s east coast which is popular with British holidaymakers. The youngster, a Russian girl who was on holiday in Ibiza, was admitted to the island’s Can Misses Hospital yesterday morning but was airlifted to Son Espases Hospital on the neighbouring island of Majorca later in the day because of the severity of her condition.
This morning she was in a paediatric intensive care unit. A Civil Guard spokesman confirmed the child appeared to have swallowed an ecstasy tablet she found in a park in Santa Eulalia. He said: ‘She was on holiday in Ibiza. Tests have confirmed it was an ecstasy tablet and investigators are working on the theory someone had dropped it in the park and the little girl mistook it for a sweet.’ Santa Eulalia is Ibiza’s third biggest town and is known as one of the island’s most family-friendly tourist destinations.